One of the things I like most about living in the Czech Republic is that there's always so much going on. Most of the year, events are focussed on the cities and towns, but in summer Czechs love to be out in 'the nature' and they take their festivals with them. July and August are a non-stop party, but there's something happening on most weekends in May, June and September too.
Here's a roundup of the ones I've most enjoyed or would most like to go to. There are a couple of cross-border ring-ins and some dates haven't been announced yet, but I'll update this post as I find out more.
Hope there's something here for you...
- May 7-10 Olomouc Beerfest The Czech Republic's largest beer festival
- May 7-13 Třeboň Animated film festival
- May 12-June 4 Prague Spring
- May 23-25 Ride of the Kings
- May 25-31 Khamoro International Roma cultural festival
- June 18-July 5 Smetana’s Litomyšl
- June 19-21 United Islands of Prague
- June 20-22 Festival of the Five-petalled rose In Český Krumlov, Free entry for those in some approximation of historic costume
- June 26-29 Stražnice folklore festival
- July 2-5 Zahrada Folk Music festival
- July 3-5 Rock for people with Massive Attack this year!
- July 4-12 Karlovy Vary International film festival
- July 10-13 Colours of Ostrava This year with Sinéad O'Connor and the Happy Mondays
- July 12 Creamfields Central Europe
- July 17-20 Boskovice 2008 Music, film and theatre festival in Boskovice's Jewish quarter
- July 17-19 Pohoda festival Trenčin The Streets, Fat Boy Slim, The Prostitutes.
- July 18-20 Mighty sounds Ska, punk, hip-hop
- July 25-August 10 Prazdniny v Telči festival
- July 28-August 3 Uherské Hradiště Film School Like Karlovy Vary, but without the celebrity glitz.
- August 8 Hradhouse
- August 8-10 Chodsko Folk Festival, Domažlice
- August 12-18 Sziget festival All the way down in Hungary, but it appears that REM, the Kaiser Chiefs, and the Sex Pistols will play. Yep those Sex Pistols.
- August 15-17 Vízovice Trnkobrání, Jelinek distillery
- Dates TBA Trutnov Open air music festival-The Woodstock of East Bohemia
- August 22 Machač on the shores of Macha’s lake (Machovo Jezero)
- August 23 Okoř castle outdoor music festival
- August 24-26 Hip Hop Kemp
- August 27-31 Fresh Film fest Festival of student films
- August 30-31 Hefaiston International blacksmiths’ festival at a ruined castle
- September 12-13 Znojmo Wine festival
- September 13-14 Rožnov Fujara festival The Fujara's a traditional wind instrument, usually associated with the shepherds of the Tatra Mountains
- September 19-21 Mělník Wine festival
- Late September–late October Gaudeamus Igitur Student festival that travels the country